Thursday 2 January 2014

A Fitness model sick of looking at Fitness models?!?!

I've been scrolling down my Facebook Newsfeed, I've been sick of looking at Fitness models.
I don't want to see them any more.

Why?

Because the pictures of these models are unrealistic.
Make up
Extreme Dieting
Photo shop

They are giving an unrealistic view of beauty and health.
Making women feel like they are not enough, women are becoming desperate to look like them.

Influencing women to go on diets, starve themselves, go on pills, surgeries, gastric bypass...
Buy tightening creams, face creams, make up, hair products, fake hair, fake lashes... On and on.

I feel like I am not enough when seeing all these fitness models on my news feed. I am not lean enough, I'm not pretty enough. I start looking in the mirror comparing myself to these models.

But wait...
I am doing the exact same thing.
The other side of me (read my previous blog about my alter ego).


If I am really bothered by this... Why do I continue to be part of the problem?

I have a fanpage, where I post all my "fitness" photos.
When I had those photos taken, I was unhealthy.
I dieted for so long.
I didn't enjoy life doing it.
I couldn't go out, I couldn't go eat out at a restaurant.
I couldn't go on vacations.
I couldn't go out on dates.
I couldn't go to birthday parties.
I couldn't eat anything that wasn't on my diet plan.
I couldn't miss a workout.
I wasn't as happy as I thought.

I convinced myself that I was happy. We tend to make up a narrative in our head to justify our actions or to make the best of the situation/choices we make. (Confirmation Bias)

Anyways, back to my question, Why do I keep this fanpage? Why can't I delete it?

1- Sunk Fallacy Cost
 It is difficult to abandon something that you put so much time/effort & money into

and

2- It's my ego.
I feel that if I delete it, I will be a nobody.
I have built up a story about who I am (or who I thought I was).
Now I will have to create a new one.

3- I am financially dependent on it.


I don't have a solution to this, but this is an internal battle I wanted to share with you.
Confessions of an Ex Fitness Model maybe?

I am actually just a normal girl with the same problems as others.
I still have self esteem issues.
I am working on my "self-worthiness" (I am worthy, I am enough).

The positive side to having this "Alter Ego Fitness Model"... I get to reach out to you.
I've been at the position where I looked like a Fitness model. I can tell you that that was unhealthy.
That I don't want you to get to that position.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side ;)

Update:
I am not intending to hurt any fitness model's feelings or challenge their lifestyle.
And this is not an excuse for me to eat whatever.
I eat very healthy and I exercise moderately.

This is a snapshot of me today.
This is the happy healthy version of me. I don't have abs, not super ripped and lean.

I always have positive affirmations written on my mirror.
No more negative self talk








6 comments:

  1. Outstanding post. It isn't easy to expose those parts of ourselves that we would rather keep hidden. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your external beauty is something i have admired i must admit, but the beauty that i remember is your smile and your willingness to go outside yourself. You have taken time to share with me and allow me to share with you. I have watched you online take time to share yourself with others in and out of the "fitness" game. I have seen you at times you were on top of the game and still took time to share yourself with others and talk to the fans. Your beauty true beauty can only fade if you lose the reaching out spirit. So don't worry about your beauty fading. As far as your exterior beauty If its paying the bills work it but remember its only a suit that you wear to a job. Change Jobs change suits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome post! Thanks for honesty. We need more of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunk Fallacy cost. I can relate to this one....
    Letting go can be extremely, extremely hard. Especially if you put a lot of time, money and especially if you are invested emotionally.

    I loved seeing your mirror this weekend, and seeing the same affirmations on there still.
    You are enough, and you are special.

    The most beautiful part of you is your heart, and that beauty will never fade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God Bless you in all ways Ying O:) O:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great source that you are offering. Thank you for sharing it with away for free. Recommended Site

    ReplyDelete